Many of our clients often ask if the glow in the dark powder is toxic or radiant. Is it harmful to your health after long time contact? Is it safe to be used in the resins, printings, paints, etc?

To answer this question, first, we need to clarify which type of glow powder you are talking about. There are different kinds of luminous powder, strontium aluminate long afterglow luminous powder, zinc sulfide short-acting luminous powder, and some self-glow luminous powder. Among these glow powders, the strontium aluminate long afterglow luminous powder is the safest and most environmentally friendly one.


Glow Technology” s non-toxic glow in the dark powder

Strontium aluminate Luminous powder refers to the materials that can continuously glow for a period of over 12 hours after being irradiated by a light source such as sunlight and long-wave ultraviolet light for a short period of time. Our luminous powder containing no phosphorus or lead, or any hazardous element or chemical, can be recharged an infinite number of times. It is non-toxic, non-radiation, environmentally safe and meet the established international standards including:

Deutsche’s Institute fur Normung e. V. (Germany) DIN 67510 PARTS 1 and 2

Restriction of Hazardous Substances RoHS 2011/65/EU

Toys safety EN71-3 2009/48/EC

Normal Cargo under IATA Dangerous Good Management

glow in the dark powder

Other short-acting glow in the dark powder

Zinc sulfide luminous powder, calcium sulfide luminous powder (red light), yttrium oxysulfide luminous powder (orange-red, red), etc. Those we usually see on the market are all light storage Luminous powder. More and more industries and fields also use them as they are also non-toxic.

The toxic glow in the dark powder

It is called self-glow luminous powder, also known as permanent luminous powder, it does not require any external energy for excitation (without lighting) but is excited by particles emitted by radioactive isotopes such as Ra (radium) contained in it during metamorphosis. It emits uninterrupted, uniform, and stable light, and the length of luminescence time (afterglow time) depends on the semi-sorrow period of the radioactive isotope contained, generally more than half a year. Nowadays, because of its radiation and pollution, it is very difficult to see in the market.

Here are some tips for the applications of non-toxic luminous powder

  1. Avoid use in an acidic environment (Al2O3 and acid will react).
  1. Avoid contact with water and seal it as far as possible; (It will absorb moisture in the air and make the luminous powder turn black and not shine and agglomerate). However, Glow Technology’s waterproof glow in the dark powder can be used in a humid or water-based medium.
  1. Avoid contact with metal (will affect the luminous powder’s unsaturated state and affect the light emission).
  1. Avoid high temperature and high-speed friction (will change the existing structure of luminous powder).
  1. Avoid eating by accident.

Some precautions when you are using the toxic radioactive luminous powder:

The radioactive luminous powder contains mercury vapor of 0.04 to 3 mg, which can cause chronic poisoning in 2 to 3 months; it can induce acute mercury poisoning if it reaches 1.2 to 8.5 mg. If it reaches 20 mg, it will Directly cause animal death. Once mercury enters the human body, it can quickly diffuse and accumulate in the kidneys, chest, and other tissues and organs. Chronic mercury poisoning can cause mental disorders, autonomic nerve disorders, acute symptoms often a headache, fatigue, fever, mouth, and digestive tract gums Redness, swelling, pain, bleeding, loose teeth, etc. Therefore, we must not discarde the fragments of fluorescent tubes everywhere.

In case the phosphor is sucked in, it is the same as the dust. In small amounts, it will stick back to the mucosa of the respiratory organs and then spit out with the sputum. A small amount may enter the lungs and slowly spit out with sputum. Frequent inhalation will result in “silicosis”. A small number of phosphor sticks to the skin, just like dust, just wash it off with water. Frequent exposure to the phosphor, or phosphor slurry, the skin will become rough. Phosphor powder has a certain amount of radiation to the body, it is best not to contact much, and occasionally the contact problem is not big.